Saturday, January 11, 2014

Day 2: Describe a Day or a Moment When Being Single Really Sucked

I am about two months into my one year lease on my very own one bedroom apartment. Natrually, I am interested in making it feel like home. Since I have a lot of wall space and prominently placed windows, I decided that I wanted to hang some curtains. Researched my decorating style, pictured all kinds of fabric and lengths and came up with a color theme. Went to the store to get curtain rods and the actual curtains and began the project...
...only to discover that I have no idea what I'm doing.

I figured that hanging curtains isn't rocket science, so I wouldn't need a lot stuff, and it would be easy. I did my own equipment check list: a drill, a pencil, a screwdriver. Basic and simple. Little did I know that I would need so much more - including a tutorial (thank you YouTube!).

I made my pencil marks. I watched the videos. I went to the hardware store to get a step stool and a level. I borrowed the electric drill and all its bits from my sister...and you would think that the simple task of hanging curtains would be done.

Well... it isn't.

I am good at a lot of things. Really. But home improvement is not one of them.
I turn into Tim, the Tool Man, Taylor when power tools are near by. Poor wall never stood a chance...

The next thing I need to get from the hardware store is stuff to fill the holes I made in the walls when I got impatient with the process and just wanted to get the damn curtains hung.

It really sucked for me to be single during all of this because I didn't have anyone to talk to about the best way to approach this curtain-hanging-project. I am at my best when I can talk things out. Having a non-biased, non-judgmental, fully encouraging and supportive person to brainstorm with and bounce ideas off of is quite a blessing.

I have walked away from my curtain hanging attempts more times than I would like to admit. For some reason, this project is really hard for me. And that is really frustrating. I mean, I know I'm new to being single (again), but I wonder to what degree does my independent single woman status lie on the scale of... independent single women. Do all single, independent women know how to hang their own curtains? If so, it really sucks to be me right now... and I hope they don't revoke my independent woman card. (haha!).

To this moment that I am writing this blog entry and you are reading it, I still do not have curtains hanging in my apartment.
I have all the marks above the windows and some plastic things in the walls - where the screws are supposed to go...but no brackets or rods securely in place.
Pathetic.

In my case, I feel that hanging curtains is a two person job. Since I am but one person, who knows when this project will be complete.





Read more:
30-Day Blogging Challenge: Inspired by The Single Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment